Thursday, October 23, 2014

Squash and Mushroom Bake

Yea…it’s Potluck theme again and I am bringing a casserole to the party. This week I have another recipe from Nigel Slater’s cookbook Eat. It’s a lovely squash and mushroom bake that’s super easy to put together.



It’s very pretty as it emerges from the oven, the cheese and béchamel bubbling up, coating the veggies within. Alas, when you spoon it out on your plate it isn’t a lovely site at all.

Tastes great but once scooped from the baking dish it doesn’t have visual appeal. The mushrooms give this casserole a very earthy flavor, lots of tastes mingling with the melty cheese. It’s quite good and we will have it again.

It was a nice side kick for the potatoes and lamb.



If you ever want to serve to guest and keep the aesthetic appeal you best put this into ramekins to bake and serve individually.

Look at that gooey cheese covering the roasted mushrooms and squash........




Here is the recipe – I modified a wee bit.

Several Summer squash, cut into thin slices
Roughly 8 ounces of mushrooms, sliced in chunks
6 ounces of a cheese mixture, I used Monterey and cheddar
Salt and pepper
Basil leaves
Béchamel sauce


Method

Heat a small amount of olive oil and sauté the s slices until browned. Do the same with the mushrooms and add basil leaves, seasoning with salt and pepper to your taste.

Now layer the squash, mushrooms and cheese until you have several layers. Since I used a smaller dish I only had two layers. I, am after all, cooking for two and not a large group.

Make a quick béchamel sauce or use a store bought variety. Pour a cup or so over the veggies. Bake at 375 F for a half hour.


This is my contribution to I Heart Cooking Club this week. Check out the delicious fare at the link above.

19 comments:

  1. You know Tina, I don't think I have ever combined mushrooms and Summer Squash. I'm not sure why but, it sure looks yummy before and after, lol…Oooey gooey is always good in my book!

    Thanks for sharing, Tina...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That certainly looks like heaven on a plate!! Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you ladies. This seemed a good dish for a potluck. Love those mushrooms.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Two of my favourite ingredients, squash and mushrooms. And of course the cheese too!
    This looks delicious and would be a perfect side dish indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I could just have this veggie casserole as a whole meal!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yum! It may not have plated visual appeal, but the warm gooey cheese and those veg are surely enough to make one close one's eyes and rely on the taste buds! Great side dish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the combination of mushrooms and squash, and with cheese it would be perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  8. How about serving it in individual ramekins?? That way there'd be no 'serving'!

    I'd have been all over it - love squash and mushrooms ... yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the sound of this dish, Tina, and isn't it often so true that the things which aren't the prettiest when they hit the plate always taste the best :-)
    Great idea to keep the visual appeal by serving in individual ramekins.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Okay, I'll be over for dinner in 5! LOL! Seriously, girl! You are having all the food I want to eat. I love lamb, potatoes, and my oh my that cheesy casserole is calling my name. Can you tell I'm in serious need of comfort food?

    Hope you're all doing well!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Squash - we don't have this word in German - and mushrooms, what a delicious combination with lamb and potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How perfect for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Mushroom, squash and cheese sounds like a winning combination to me. Like Debra--I could make a meal out of this mushroom bake on its own.
    ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  18. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  19. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........