Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Wahoo: A new experience. Served with Black Beans with lime and garlic + corn on the cob.


Wahoo is not necessarily a hillbilly shout out. The wahoo I am talking about is a fish. They probably sound alike, the phonetic pronunciation, but perhaps spelled differently.

I don’t know………I didn’t grow up around here.

My former co worker Chris mentioned he likes swordfish and also the wahoo fish best of all. (Chris writes a fitness blog, by the way. Check that out HERE)

As we are big fans of the swordfish, and Chris is an avid fisherman and consumer of sea creatures, we decided to take his suggestion and grill a big hunk of Wahoo.



I’ve recently read they have sharp teeth, thus confirming my belief that fish do, in fact, bite. Not a fishing kinda gal.

As with most of the family I grew up with, I am a non-swimmer. Never learned to swim and have had the notion fish can and will bite. So the water doesn’t hold a spellbinding appeal for me. I like to look at it and would consider having a Mojito poolside (if we had a pool).
But I do like to eat fish. I like grilled fish very much and I am a fan of Bonefish Grill.



So, It was brushed with olive oil and sea salt used liberally before plopping it on the charcoal grill.

Served here with black beans with lime and garlic, corn on the cob.



Leftovers mean fish tacos….or stew. We’ll see.

My personal verdict on this fish is that it’s quite dense and you do not need a large quantity of it. Swordfish is also dense and between the two, I like the swordfish more. But this was good and quite solid for grilling.

Thanks for the suggestion Chris.

Thinking of redesigning the site here......but I will be back in a few days regardless.

Hope you all are having good weather - someone please take some of our rain!!

16 comments:

  1. For a "gal" who didn't grow up around there, you sure can Wahoo!!! I absolutely adore Swordfish and as I think about it, it has been quite a long time since I've seen anyone blog about it!

    Of course finding Swordfish around here is going to be next to impossible but, I can dream:)

    Thanks for sharing, Tina...

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. Send all the rain my way! I could use a break from all of the kids knocking on my door continuously;-)

    Never tried the wahoo. Sounds like a nice meaty fish. Glad to see you are grilling out and enjoying the summer!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Louise, if you can get it, I think you'd like grilled swordfish. It has a sweet taste, but not sugary sweet. Very good and a mango salsa goes well on it too.

    Kim - seriously, you can have the rain!! It's been to much, every. single. day! Thanks for the nice comment :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have never heard of wahoo, but it looks delish!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had seen it in the fish market, WC, but this was my first time trying it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm always on the lookout for new fish! i really like cod and flounder! wahoo looks delicious! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. wahoo and swordfish are somewhat similar indeed and I have found grilling swordfish to be much better myself too... maybe just a personal preference... but both are a bit heavier than I prefer, dark meat and fast swimmers which means a much bolder taste and both takes proper bleeding and seasonings to land on my grill... your steak looks absolutely fab and grilled to perfection, hey Doug, ya still liking that grill?

    ReplyDelete
  8. That looks good - but I agree about the denseness of the fish ... re-design eh? *interested*

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks for the mention Pierce...now I need to get some fish for the grill!

    ReplyDelete
  10. The Hubs went on a recent fishing trip to the Gulf and didn't catch any wahoo, but we have tons of red snapper and dorado. This fish looks good and I bet you are having some mean fish tacos. Can't wait to see the new design!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete

Welcome and thank you so much for visiting. If I don't answer you here I will get back to you on your blog. Also have had to switch to approving comments due to some SPAM lately. Alas...

It's been a good run...........